[Orgmode] Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation instructions

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation instructions
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:00:18 +0100

> On Sep 26, 2010, at 3:33 PM, Dan Davison wrote:
>
>> I think that the documentation concerning installation should be made
>> more user-friendly. My impression is that the Org manual makes all
>> this
>> sound much harder than it needs to be, and I suspect that this is an
>> entry-barrier for new Org users. For example, the first thing users
>> encounter in the manual section is an instruction to edit a Makefile.
>>
>> I suggest we provide a "quick and easy installation" section to the
>> manual, that shows people how to start using the latest version of
>> Org-mode without messing about with compilation and installation (I
>> rarely compile and have never "installed" Org-mode). It would also be
>> helpful to include notes on how to find your ".emacs" file.
>>
>> This would involve the following changes to section 1.2 Installation:
>>
>> 1. The first thing it should say would be along the lines of
>>   "A reasonably recent version of Org is included in Emacs. Are you
>>   sure you need the latest version of Org?  If not, skip to the
>>   Activation section and start using Org!"

Hi Carsten,

> I do agree that we should have this sentence, but maybe modified like
> this:
>
> If you have a recent release of Emacs, a version of Org-mode
> sufficient for all basic use is already included and you may
> skip the installation instructions and continue with section xxx,
> activation.
>
> However, Org-mode evolves fast.  Therefore, we do recommend to install
> the
> most recent release.

OK.

> Maybe we could actually have an Emacs command that will insert the
> basic stuff
> into .emacs and optionally compile the Lisp files.
>
> The installation would be:
>
> - download and unpack tar file
> - emacs -l path-to-org.el
> - M-x org-install
>
> org-install would figure out where org.el is, add to .emacs and query
> for compilation.  This wouod make things independent from make and
> other tools.

Yes I wondered about making something like that yesterday (would it make
sense to have emacs do everything, including the download? M-x
org-update-org?). But then I started thinking that we should
investigate/rule out the ELPA possibilities before creating a new
install function for Org. Maybe some people on this list have experience
of maintaining packages on ELPA and will be able to give an opinion.

Dan