Re: [Orgmode] ELPA

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ELPA
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:48:29 -0600

Scot Becker <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan,

[...]

>> - Would it make sense to have two different packages available via ELPA,
>
> To me, yes.  I like using git for the development tree, but I expect
> that ELPA makes for a nice way for Windows users (and others who don't
> want to or can't use git) to get the latest version easily (and
> possibly even to downgrade if necessary).  The latest release version
> is of course necessary as well, since using it is the main
> recommendation to new users.

I would think that it only makes sense to have one Org-mode package in
ELPA, namely the bleeding edge git version of Org-mode.  ELPA serves as
a way to distribute packages which are not (or can't be) part of Emacs,
I don't think it makes sense to use ELPA to re-distribute the version of
Org-mode which users already have installed as part of their Emacs
install.  Un-installing the bleeding edge Org-mode would be equivalent
to downgrading to the Emacs version.

Also, I would tend to think that this would make the most sense if we
automate the ELPA integration s.t. every time a new revision is pushed
up the to git repository, the ELPA version is automatically upgraded
(with a git commit hook).  If this isn't currently possible in ELPA then
I'd agree with a point Jambunathan makes in this thread that this is a
trick we can help ELPA to learn.

The reason I think the above is important is that very frequently the
answer to a question is "oh, I fixed that, please pull the latest from
git", and we'll be constantly frustrating users if ELPA can't keep up
with git.

Best -- Eric