Re: [Orgmode] Re: Having (too) many files in org-agenda-files

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Having (too) many files in org-agenda-files
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:19:18 +0200

On Sep 29, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
On Sep 28, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
Of course, I have many, many files in Org mode. All files I write (or touch)
in fact.

Of course, I would like to search through my files at some point in time. I even would like to search through your files at some point in time, I mean through =org-mode/contrib/babel= and =Worg= for example. Hence, I put them
in =org-agenda-files=.

The problem is the load-time of my Emacs, now 221 seconds, coming from 20
seconds before the heavy use of Org...

You'll tell me: not a problem, you do that only once a day, and you use
Emacs client/server for the rest of the time. True. A bit, because I
sometimes have to restart Emacs for testing a fresh one (not impacted by
defvars already defined, or deffaces, etc.).

Having to wait almost 4 minutes is a real pain. So, here my
comments/questions:

- Isn't it possible to delay the fontification/ispell/etc. to when we really display (i.e., pop up) the buffer? I guess this must be a major
 component of the time this takes.

- Couldn't we have 2 vars: =org-agenda-files= for the files you know you want have scanned for the agenda construction, and an extra list such as =org-search-files= for files not containing any dates? Then, some time would have to be taken when =C-c a s=, but not before. And not if you don't search for anything in your Org files during that Emacs session...

4 minutes of startup time is entirely unacceptable.  And I think
you need to identify what is causing this.

First of all, unless you are having to totally old Version of Emacs,

Nope. GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
of 2010-03-29 on rothera, modified by Debian

fontification at display time is standard, I believe.

It seems not, from what I see in the Messages buffer. I really don't have the
impression of having fiddled with that, really.

You must be doing something strange, like forcing Emacs to load
all those files in org-agenda-files for example,

That, yes! I should have explicitly written it, but -- yes -- I do have:

(org-agenda-list)

in my .emacs.

and maybe forcing global fontification for each file or so.

To repeat myself, no to that question. But ispell and flyspell are called for
Org files. Maybe there are interactions?

About a separate variable for search file, that does of cause exist:
org-agenda-text-search-extra-files

Of course!

Doing this:

(setq org-agenda-files
     (append (directory-files org-directory t "^[^\\.].*\\.org$")
             (if (file-exists-p "~/Projects/")
                 (directory-files "~/Projects/" t "^[^\\.].*\\.org$")
               nil)))

(setq org-agenda-text-search-extra-files
     (append
             (if (file-exists-p "~/Public/")
                 (directory-files "~/Public/" t "^[^\\.].*\\.txt$")
               nil)
(if (file-exists-p "~/Public/www.mygooglest.com/source/sva/ ") (directory-files "~/Public/www.mygooglest.com/source/sva/ " t "^[^\\.].*\\.txt$")
               nil)
             (if (file-exists-p "~/Examples/Org-scraps/")
(directory-files "~/Examples/Org-scraps/" t "^[^\ \.].*\\.txt$")
               nil)
(if (file-exists-p "~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/org- mode/contrib/babel/") (directory-files "~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/org- mode/contrib/babel/" t "^[^\\.].*\\.org$")
               nil)
             (if (file-exists-p "~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/Worg/")
(directory-files "~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/ Worg/" t "^[^\\.].*\\.org$")
               nil)
             ))

reduces my load time from 221 seconds down to 92 seconds. Already a huge diff!

Still bad though. I am wondering what is causing the fontification message.
I do not get this, so it must be something in your setup.  You should
try to find out when this is happening and why.

Also, you might consider to remove (org-agenda-list) from .emacs.
I think it is pretty much always a bad idea to put a command like this into your startup. Just make it a habit to call it early after starting Emacs.

It also seems to me you some of the extra packages might be
activated several times in each file.  One possible reason could
be that you have put the code to turn them on into several hooks
like text-mode-hook, outline-mode-hook, and org-mode-hook.
Turning on org-mode will first run text-mode-hook, then
outline-mode-hook, then org-mode-hook .....
Maybe you are also calling font-lock-fontify-buffer explicitly
in one of your hooks?

Hope some of this helps.  If not, let me see you full
configuration - maybe I can spot something else.

- Carsten