Re: [Orgmode] table, moving cells

From: Martin G. Skjæveland
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] table, moving cells
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:51:36 +0200

On 29/09/10 17:58, Carsten Dominik wrote:
Hi Martin,

On Sep 25, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Martin G. Skjæveland wrote:

Hi,

is there a quick way for moving a cell about in a table? I enjoy
swapping the order of rows and columns in a table using Meta +
[arrow], but I have not found a ways of doing the same for a single
cell. Is it possible?

Example, with the cursor on '2' in the following table

| A | B | C |
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| x | y | z |

and pressing [move cell left] would give me

| A | B | C |
| 2 | 1 | 3 |
| x | y | z |

Thanks!

Hi Carsten

I fail to see the use case for this.

I have come across two use cases lately where I have been missing this feature: 1) in a timetable, swapping a cell or two, e.g., the title of a talk and the speaker, with next week's values; and 2) making a seating plan for a social event. In the latter, moving people about quick and easy is nice.

Yes, this can
be useful sometimes, and you can use `C-c C-x C-w' and
`C-c C-x C-y' to cut and paste individual fields or
even rectangular regions.

Ok, thanks, I did not know about these.

But for pushing a cell value
to a neighboring cell, I don't see a frequent use that
would call for a special command beyond what I listed above.
Do you?

I agree that it is not a frequent operation.

For the seating plan, I ended up with lots of post-it notes on a wall, which worked just fine! :)

Thanks again!
Martin