Re: [Orgmode] Org-protocol / Chrome on Linux

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-protocol / Chrome on Linux
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:43:29 +0200

Mattias Jämting <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes i'm running a pretty standard Ubuntu 10.04 setup.
>
> I managed to get it working on chrome by removing the
> encodeURIComponent command on location.href.
>
> I could simulate it in the terminal like this.
>
> address@hidden:~$ xdg-open org-protocol://capture://http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org
> Error showing URL: Operation not supported
> address@hidden:~$ xdg-open org-protocol://capture://http://orgmode.org
> address@hidden:~$ (worked)
>
> Strange that it worked in FF. Maybe Chrome and FF encodes URIs differently?

Ooops!

I just was going to blame Google.

Looking into the ECMA standard, I found this:

15.1.3 URI Handling Function Properties

       ... ...

       A URI is composed of a sequence of components separated by
       component separators. The general form
       is:
                 Scheme : First / Second ; Third ? Fourth

       where the italicised names represent components and the “:”, “/”,
       “;” and “?” are reserved characters used as separators. The
       encodeURI and decodeURI functions are intended to work with
       complete URIs; they assume that any reserved characters in the
       URI are intended to have special meaning and so are not
       encoded. The encodeURIComponent and decodeURIComponent functions
       are intended to work with the individual component parts of a
       URI; they assume that any reserved characters represent text and
       so must be encoded so that they are not interpreted as reserved
       characters when the component is part of a complete URI.

That document states "encodeURI" is to be used with complete URIs (as
the name says...).  Funny.  Chrome is the only browser that works like
that :)

I'll go and adjust the docs.

Thanks for your Report!!

   Sebastian