Re: [Orgmode] Org-protocol / Chrome on Linux

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-protocol / Chrome on Linux
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:56:17 +0200

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:
> Mattias Jämting <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes i'm running a pretty standard Ubuntu 10.04 setup.
>>
>> I managed to get it working on chrome by removing the
>> encodeURIComponent command on location.href.
>>
>> I could simulate it in the terminal like this.
>>
>> address@hidden:~$ xdg-open org-protocol://capture://http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org
>> Error showing URL: Operation not supported
>> address@hidden:~$ xdg-open org-protocol://capture://http://orgmode.org
>> address@hidden:~$ (worked)
>>
>> Strange that it worked in FF. Maybe Chrome and FF encodes URIs differently?
>

> Ooops!
>
> I just was going to blame Google.
>
> Looking into the ECMA standard, I found this:
>
> 15.1.3 URI Handling Function Properties
>
>        ... ...
>
>        A URI is composed of a sequence of components separated by
>        component separators. The general form
>        is:
>                  Scheme : First / Second ; Third ? Fourth
>
>        where the italicised names represent components and the “:”, “/”,
>        “;” and “?” are reserved characters used as separators. The
>        encodeURI and decodeURI functions are intended to work with
>        complete URIs; they assume that any reserved characters in the
>        URI are intended to have special meaning and so are not
>        encoded. The encodeURIComponent and decodeURIComponent functions
>        are intended to work with the individual component parts of a
>        URI; they assume that any reserved characters represent text and
>        so must be encoded so that they are not interpreted as reserved
>        characters when the component is part of a complete URI.
>

> That document states "encodeURI" is to be used with complete URIs (as
> the name says...).  Funny.  Chrome is the only browser that works like
> that :)
>
> I'll go and adjust the docs.
>

> Thanks for your Report!!

Actually --- errr --- there is nothing to adjust.  The docs are exactly
right.

This is because of some örfflkjsgs in xdg-open.

No one ever said something about xdg-open.  Org-protocol is supposed to
work with emacsclient:

address@hidden:~$ emacsclient org-protocol://capture://http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org

works.

  Sebastian