[Orgmode] Re: Store link upon sending a message

From: Ulf Stegemann
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Store link upon sending a message
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:56:33 +0200

Łukasz Stelmach <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ulf Stegemann <address@hidden> writes:

[snipped 15 lines]

> AFAIR, message-id is used for org links rather than the articla
> number.

ah, right, that's at least what raw gnus-article links look like.  I
remember vaguely that this was different in the past and I obviously
hadn't checked again.

>> of the last Gcc message created.  But maybe someone around here
>> has a partly or completely different idea how to achieve the described
>> behaviour?
>
> Which simplifies the problem quite a lot because we need to be able to
> see the buffer just before sending or copying it to Gcc folder. All the
> information is there.

Yes, this makes things a lot easier :)
IIUC we just need to parse the Gcc header for the group(s), grab the
message-id and put things together.  We should however keep in mind that
we need to parse the Gcc header _before_ `gnus-inews-do-gcc' copies the
message as the Gcc header is removed in the process.  But the org link
should probably be built _after_ `gnus-inews-do-gcc' to avoid bogus org
links in case the Gcc fails.

Additionally, it's probably not necessary to create a link for every
group in Gcc but only for one (first one?).  Furthermore, storing an org
link should only happen when somehow requested by the user and not on
every send.  Although prefix args of `message-send' and friends already
serve a different purpose that nevertheless seems to be trivial.

Ulf