[Orgmode] Total time displayed in the modeline?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Total time displayed in the modeline?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:33:30 +0200

Hello,

I currently have:

;; time included for the modeline clock is all time clocked into this task
;; today
(setq org-clock-modeline-total 'today)

but this is not satisfying me yet, because:

1. for some tasks (like spending time on this newsgroup), I would like to set a
   maximum time per day,

2. for others, such as client tasks for which I've given an effort, I would
   like to see how much time I've already spent on the task... but not only
   today: all days summed up.

Currently, with the above setting, 1 is OK. 2 is not.

Changing the value of the above variable fixes one problem, but poses a
new problem: 2 is OK, but 1 is not OK anymore.

In fact, I would need the ability to:

- have a global default value (such as of today),
- be able to override the behavior on a subtree level.

Does this make sense?
Is somebody able/willing to do such?
Or, better, is there already a way to achieve my goal within the current Org?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban