[Orgmode] Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:35:20 +0200

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Chuck,

I agree about making use of existing ESS tools and that a more
traditional Org approach might be appropriate.

OK. But I think I have a solution for the "One package in a single org file" approach - see below

> If you do decide to go all in for a 'one org file makes one package'
> approach, you might try to get Rd language support added, so you can
> edit Rd directly in an Org Src buffer in Rd-mode.

No extra code is needed to get editing support for languages.

#+begin_src XXX

provides an edit buffer in XXX-mode automatically, with no special
customization. Also fontification in the org buffer works automatically
if `org-src-fontify-natively' is set.

Agreed - and that is the key to it.

If one is using the post-tangle-hook to compile / check the package, the fuinctiona;ity is together:

Example, the name of the org file will be used as the packagename:
------------BEGIN-----------------------

* Internal configurations                                          :noexport:
** Post tangle script
#+begin_src sh :tangle postTangleScript.sh :var PACKAGENAME=(or (buffer-file-name) org-current-export-file)
  R CMD CHECK $PACKAGENAME
#+end_src

** Evaluate to run post tangle script
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :tangle no :exports none
  (add-hook 'org-babel-post-tangle-hook
            (
             lambda ()
                    (call-process-shell-command "./postTangleScript.sh" nil 0 nil)
                    )
            )
#+end_src

* Package description
#+begin_src :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/DESCRIPTION
#+end_src
* Content of the package
** Function1
*** man
#+begin_src Rd :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/man/Function1.Rd
#+end_src

*** Code
#+begin_src R :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/R/Function1.R
#+end_src

*** Tests
#+begin_src R :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/tests/Function1Tests.R
#+end_src

The output from the test needs to be saved in ./PACKAGENAME/tests/Function1Tests.R - I still have to think about that.

** Function2
*** man
#+begin_src Rd :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/man/Function2.Rd
#+end_src

*** Code
#+begin_src R :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/R/Function2.R
#+end_src

*** Tests
#+begin_src R :tangle ./PACKAGENAME/tests/Function2Tests.R
#+end_src

The output from the test needs to be saved in ./PACKAGENAME/tests/Function2Tests.R - I still have to think about that.

** data
#+begin_src ...
#+end_src

This depends on the type of the data.

------------END-----------------------

This is untested so far, but I will try it out. The only thing which would be nice, would be to automate a few things.

Cheers,

Rainer

Dan

NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!