Re: [Orgmode] Worg needs some reorganizing

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Worg needs some reorganizing
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:44:30 +0100

On 13/10/10 16:41, Eric Schulte wrote:
Dan Davison<address@hidden>  writes:

Worg could do with some reorganization. It is not at all easy to find
stuff in there (at least, using a web browser).

I agree there is certainly room for improvement here.  Maybe this sort
of re-organization should be considered along with the new CSS changes.

[...]

This suggests to me firstly that we should do away with some of the hard
directory structure and place most/all of the config/tutorial type files
in a single directory.

The other option I'd see to eliminating directory structures would be
using something to reflect the directory structure in the title bar of
the page [1].  Just a thought.

Another option may be a navigation side bar reflecting the contents of
the current directory bringing the web experience closer to the local
git experience.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  I'm thinking "tabs", e.g. "tutorials", "contributed packages",
      etc...  See the following for an example of such a layout made
      using Jekyll http://epr.adaptive.cs.unm.edu/

I think that part of the problem is that worg has now grown so big (a good thing), it's quite hard to find things just by browsing. The front page is basically just a big list. Once you have browsed around for a while, it's very easy to get lost.

Eric's idea of a sidebar showing where you are and making it easier to get somewhere else is a good idea.

Maybe we are reaching the limits of what can be achieved using org-publish alone and should consider some other tool as well, such as jekyll? This would need to be done in a way that still allowed easy user contributions and an automated build process.

Ian.