Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:10:41 +0200

[ ... ]

Oh, I was pretty sure that org-footnote.el is only a wrapper around the
original footnote.el that comes with emacs, but looking at the code it
seems to be a completely separate facility.

It says to have "better support for resuming editing" than footnote.el
but be less configurable.  Can someone enlighten my what is meant with
that better support for resuming editing?  I mean, footnote.el already
provides automatic renumbering which is the only special feature I can
imagine to be of great use when resuming to edit a footnoted document...

Bye,
Tassilo

Hi Tassilo,

common footnote.el was never able to detect if a file opened has already footnote inside. Didn't check that for some month now...

Also org-footnote implemented labeled footnotes, very useful to avoid clashes with forms like list[1]

BTW suggest to replace the common footnote by the org's footnotes, remove the prefix then, leave some aliases in org-mode for backward-compatibility.

cc to emacs-devel for this.

Cheers

Andreas

--