[Orgmode] Issues with org-mode and LaTeX export.

From: gerald . jean
Subject: [Orgmode] Issues with org-mode and LaTeX export.
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:42:01 -0400

Hello,

I am new to org-mode and I have a few issues with it.  First, I am running
org-mode version 5.23a from Emacs 22.3.1 on a Linux RedHat machine.

1.- Following advice in the org manual I added the following lines to my
.emacs.

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(setq org-log-done t)

when I open a *.org file, org-mode is turned on OK.  But none of the
"org-export-latex-*" variables are defined at this point?

Now if I do C-c C-e l then a LaTeX file is produced, not with the options I
want though (see point 2), and "some" of the "org-export-latex-*" variables
seemed to be defined now; for example "org-export-latex-classes" is defined
with the default definition, but not all LaTeX related variables are
defined, for example "org-export-latex-default-packages-alist" is not
defined; henced I can't even find out what are the default packages?

What is going on here?  Do I have something missing in my .emacs file?

2.- Now, I want to use different packages, for example

\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[english, francais]{babel}

I posted about this yesterday and I got the following reply from Thomas S.
Dye, thanks Thomas,

Perhaps the org-export-latex-classes variable is mis-configured.  IIUC, the
[EXTRA] macro needs to be present:

      If you need more control about the sequence in which the header is
      built
      up, or if you want to exclude one of these building blocks for a
      particular
      class, you can use the following macro-like placeholders.

       [DEFAULT-PACKAGES]      \usepackage statements for default packages
       [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]   do not include any of the default packages
       [PACKAGES]              \usepackage statements for packages
       [NO-PACKAGES]           do not include the packages
       [EXTRA]                 the stuff from #+LaTeX_HEADER
       [NO-EXTRA]              do not include #+LaTeX_HEADER stuff
       [BEAMER-HEADER-EXTRA]   the beamer extra headers

Unfortunaetly this is not enough details for my little knowledge of elisp!
Could someone provide me with a clear example of what needs to go in the
.emacs file for packages with options and correspondingly what needs to go
in the org file for that example.  Does the .emacs file needs to be
modified every time one wants to add a new package?

Thanks for any support,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Actuariat et Solutions d'assurances,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"We believe in God, others must bring Data."

W. Edwards Deming