Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:05:47 -0400

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> > BTW suggest to replace the common footnote by the org's footnotes, remove
> > the
> > prefix then, leave some aliases in org-mode for backward-compatibility.
>
> Well, I don't have a strong opinion on that.  But currently
> org-footnote.el is not very good when writing mails, because it places
> footnotes at the end of a buffer.  If there's a signature, then
> footnotes are in that and likely to be removed by people replying to
> your mail.

How does footnote.el find the signature? I assumed before that
signatures are free-form and therefore unfindable algorithmically, but
that seems to be a mistake on my part. If that's the case, the
mechanism can be grafted into org-footnote.el, perhaps with an expanded
meaning of org-footnote-placement: in addition to nil or a string, it
can be a symbol, say 'before-signature, and that can be set in an appropriate
mail composition hook.

Nick