[Orgmode] Re: update of snapshot release broken?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: update of snapshot release broken?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:58:49 -0400

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 13:09, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:
>> git archive --format=tar --prefix=project/ HEAD | gzip >latest.tar.gz
>
> Thanks, that helps me already to install the currently very latest
> version to a different machine at some time later. But even better for
> me would be to git-pull the very latest version on one machine, get
> its SHA1 and then do a git-whatever with the same SHA1 at some time
> later on another machine to get the same version again.

git pull on one machine
git describe to get short SHA1
git checkout SHA1 on other machine
should give you exactly the same codebase on each.

Example:

$ git checkout origin/master # on machine 1
$ git describe
release_7.01h-823-gd600831 # Note SHA1 starting here
                   ^^^^^^^
# SHA1 is d600831

# On other machine
$ git pull # to get up to date code
$ git checkout d600831

And you have the same commit on both machines.

With this method you can also backup and move to any arbitrary commit in
the history -- if you find you have a bug in the current code that was
introduced 5 commits ago, you can back up to a previous commit (the one
before the one introducing the bug) and keep working.

HTH,
Bernt