Re: [Orgmode] Re: Aligning Columns in HTML Export Tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Aligning Columns in HTML Export Tables
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:43:40 +0200

On Oct 25, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Christian Moe wrote:

On 10/25/10 11:08 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Oct 25, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Christian Moe wrote:

On 10/25/10 6:36 AM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:
I am wondering if there
is any special reason to use "class" instead of "align". If not,
can we
change the elisp code to use "align"?

I believe the "align" attribute is slated for obsoletion in HTML5,
on the grounds that it's better handled by CSS.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/obsolete.html

It's a reason to go with "class" instead. Not a compelling one,
perhaps.

My only strong opinion on this is that I absolutely agree with the
choice not to set the "style" attribute locally on each table cell.

Hmm, butwe do now set the class in each cell. Is that any better?

- Carsten

It's a subtle difference, and every way works, so I don't want to waste more of your time.

#+begin_rant
But yes, I think it /is/ better, for the same reason Sebastian requested it: Setting class is the preferred way to make all cells of that class custom-styleable by changing a single line in the stylesheet.

As I pointed out below, though, it's not the only way. CSS lets you do the same, nearly as easily, if "align" is used instead of "class" as Baoqiu Cui suggested; "class" is more future-proof (HTML5), "align" more compact (the default is already defined).

(Heck, come to think of it, Sebastian could have monospaced the left- aligned column in his example even when Org set "style" on each cell, using a selector like:
: td[style="text-align: left;"] { font-family: monospace; }
-- but that, I think, would be perverse.)

Over-use of the style attribute to set styles locally works against the purpose of CSS. The local style attribute should be used for exceptions; general rules should be handled at a higher level of the cascade.

Having to set /anything/ on each cell just to align a column is not optimal either, but since some browsers don't honor colgroups, it's the most robust way.
#+end_rant

Christian

But Sebastian Rose's request that prompted it, /could/ equally well
be addressed with the "align" attribute:

How about this (line-wrapped for readability):

instead of

??

Combined with the ways to add IDs and classes to tables, we could
then style the
columns better.

I would like to set this for right aligned <td> tags as default:

td.right { font-family:monospace;text-align:right; }

Using the "align" attribute as follows,

Sebastian could achieve the same with CSS like

td[align="right"] { font-family: monospace;}

In the same way one could even use CSS to override the alignment
specified by the "align" attribute, if for whatever reason this
seemed like a good idea...

One slight advantage of the "align" attribute over "class" is that
it doesn't require the default style to contain the extra verbiage
Carsten mentioned:

I have now in the default style:

td, th { vertical-align: top; }
th.right { text-align:right; }
th.left { text-align:left; }
th.center { text-align:center; }
td.right { text-align:right; }
td.left { text-align:left; }
td.center { text-align:center; }

Is there a way to write this more compactly?

Yours,
Christian

- Carsten

Actually,  I have one more question:

The exporter does now (in addition to setting classes for individual fields)

Should this be classes instead of align attributes as well?

Thanks!

- Carsten

- Carsten