[Orgmode] Updating using snapshot & org-install missing

From: GMcG
Subject: [Orgmode] Updating using snapshot & org-install missing
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:12:37 +0100

I just updated my org mode for the first time, using a snapshot, and I had an issue with org-install. Although I think it's resolved I'm documenting it here in case ....

a) I've done something incorrect which needs pointing out to me
b) it helps others with the same problem
c) it is useful for documentation etc

Here's what I did:

I read this thread http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/32427/ to find out how to get a snapshot (I had previously downloaded what I thought was the latest version from http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip but it's out of date at the moment) I downloaded the tar.gz from http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/snapshot and unpacked it I renamed my org-mode directory to org-mode-backup and copied the downloaded org-mode directory into its place I started emacs and saw an error message about org-install (I'm not relaying the message here since I think it's resolved now) I opened an org file and saw that at least some of my customisations were not active (faces), then I closed emacs I looked in the org-mode directory for org-install.el and saw that it was missing I searched the email list archives and read this thread http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11416 I copied over the org-install.el file from my org-mode-backup directory into the new org-mode directory and restarted emacs
Result: org mode updated, no errors

Hope this helps!

Gez
(Windows XP, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, Org-mode version 7.01trans)