Re: [Orgmode] Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word convers

From: Marvin Doyley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word conversion
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:41:21 -0400

This is indeed a unique way of looking at the problem. I am not sure converting from word to Org is the way to go, because vast majority of my research notes are already in Org. But having said that a good work around could be to create a crude version in word (ditch the equations, but export as plain text), get everyone comments, and incorporate the changes in Org before exporting to latex This will try this in the initial stage of my next grant proposal.

cheers

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Jeff Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Richard Lawrence
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I'm not trying to be antagonistic, or insensitive to your particular
>>> situation.  But since no one else has said it, I just wanted to point
>>> out that it might be easier or more efficient, in terms of overall
>>> person-hours, to convert from Word to Org, rather than the other way
>>> around.
>>
>> If they're stuck in word and the OP is using org, he may be the only
>> person on his team capable of changing his workflow. In that case,
>> person hours are saved if he switches and doesn't have to educate
>> everyone else (or they educate themselves), though *his* man hours are
>> not economized.
>
> Well, doesn't that depend on how long it would take to educate everyone
> else, vs. how many hours he will eventually spend doing manual
> conversion to Word?

Of course it does. My implied belief is that the former takes longer
than the latter. I would be surprised if this is not true, unless his
team only consists of two or three people.

The decision is clearly dependent not just on each person's effort,
but on how many people are in the equation.

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
address@hidden
address@hidden

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/