Re: [Orgmode] Re: TaskJuggler 3, revisited

From: Christian Egli
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: TaskJuggler 3, revisited
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:28:13 +0200

Hi Anthony

Anthony Lander <address@hidden> writes:

> Is the unfamiliar idiom the backtick list with the ,variables in it,
> by chance?

No it was more stuff like `return' and `return-from'.

> Ah, sorry. This I should have documented. The problem is that TJ3
> fails to compile the file if there is a leaf node with no computable
> end date. TJ2 happily ignored the situation, but TJ3 throws an error.

OK, I understand. I managed to slowly integrate (some of) your changes.
It should now generate milestones for nodes that cannot be scheduled and
are leaf nodes. So basically it should export valid code for tj3 if you
set org-export-taskjuggler-target-version to 3.0. Of course the report
definitions in the defcustom org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports are
not compatible with tj3 so you will need to change these.

I have (or I guess rather had) some fondness for recursive functions, so
I re-implemented your leafiness function recursively. However I ran into
problems with max-lisp-eval-depth and it appears that recursion is not
encouraged in Emacs lisp
(http://www.gnu.org/s/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Compilation-Tips.html#Compilation-Tips).
So I guess it's back to iterative style.

> In any event, the TJ drawer is my attempt at a catch-all solution. It
> at least allows a user to use missing features without waiting for a
> development change. So for example, I personally will never use the
> accounting stuff, and would not be very motivated to add it to the
> exporter, but if someone needed it, they could put the required code
> in the TJ drawer, and they could still use the TJ exporter for their
> project instead of having to abandon org-mode entirely for one missing
> feature.

I like the drawer stuff and will integrate it.

> Interesting thought. I very much like the idea that you can do other
> things with your org-file than export it to taskjuggler. For example,
> keep actual notes in the file, and export it to other formats like
> html or LaTeX, for purposes other than project planning.

Absolutely, I agree.

> Being able to say "no, this is not a task" in the task tree would be
> very useful. I don't know how to do it nicely either (yet).

Hm, no this is not possible right now. Why would you want to do this?
Maybe we could just mark it as a comment and make the exporter honor
comments.

> How about if we set up a git repository on github
> with the files, and then post the link on the mailing list?

I set up a repo and pushed my changes to the code there
(http://github.com/egli/org-mode).

> I think we should put your email, and this reply to the
> list as well.

Yes, I almost forgot. Would you mind doing that?

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli