Re: [Orgmode] [WISH] Org Importers

From: Peter Frings
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [WISH] Org Importers
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:16:51 +0200

On 28 Oct 2010, at 11:15, Scot Becker wrote:

Jambunathan,

(2) could be useful but a bit far-fetched at the
moment.

Really?  Lots of us track changes with git, sometimes by means of one of the Emacs interfaces for it like Magit.  You may be thinking of some interface-level features which aren't available by this method, like the ability to annotate changes in the same place you make them, I suppose.  But working this way has a lot of 'features' that "track changes" doesn't.

We once thought of having some markup in our LaTeX files to track changes, offering annotations. If I recall correctly, we had a command \changed{old}{new}{comment}.
You could leave out the new or old text part: newly added  text would be \changed{}{bla bla}{this is new text!}, deleted text would be \changed{completely wrong}{}{what an idiot}. The command would render the old/new text differently (gray, strikethrough, blue, whatever) and add the comment as a margin note.

Maybe something like this would be useful/feasible in Org? (not that I have a need for this -- we never implemented that command, either).

Cheers,
Peter.