Re: [Orgmode] Last workday of the month

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Last workday of the month
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:19:54 -0400

Chris Maier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a sexp diary entry that shows my payday,
> which is the last weekday of the month, in my Org agenda.  I've tried
> to adapt the example given in the Emacs manual and this is what I came
> up with:
>
> %%(let ((month (car date))
>         (day (cadr date))
>         (dayname (calendar-day-of-week date)))
>     (or
>      ;; months with 31 days
>      (and (memq month '(1 3 5 7 8 10 12))
>              (or (and (= day 31)
>                       (memq dayname '(1 2 3 4 5)))
>                  (and (memq day '(29 30))
>                       (= dayname 5))))
>      ;; months with 30 days
>      (and (memq month '(4 6 9 11))
>           (or (and (= day 30)
>                    (memq dayname '(1 2 3 4 5)))
>               (and (memq day '(28 29))
>                    (= dayname 5))))
>      ;; February (the weird one)
>      (and (= month 2)
>           (or (and (memq day '(28 29))
>                    (memq dayname '(1 2 3 4 5)))
>               (and (memq day '(26 27 28))
>                    (= dayname 5)))))) Chris' Paycheck Deposited
>
> It appears to work so far.  However, I'm certain there's got to be a
> more concise way of coding this, but I can't seem to find any
> pre-existing calendar functions that might help.  Am I missing
> something?

This is based on the same idea and example from the manual, but it
precalculates what it needs in order to simplify the decision at
the end:

(let* ((dayname (calendar-day-of-week date))
              (day (calendar-extract-day date))
              (month (calendar-extract-month date))
              (year (calendar-extract-year date))
              (lastday (calendar-last-day-of-month month year))
              (last-two-days-before-last-day (list (- lastday 2) (- lastday
1))))
           (or (and (= day lastday) (memq dayname '(1 2 3 4 5)))
               (and (memq day last-two-days-before-last-day) (= dayname 5)))
              )

Very lightly tested, so use with caution.

> To make this even better, is there some way to consult another file of
> diary entries containing all the holidays at my workplace, so the
> diary entry would show up on the last weekday of the month that is not
> a company holiday?

I'm sure there is - simplest is probably to set a variable in your
.emacs with all the holidays - schedule that with org for Dec. 31 :-) -
but you are on your own for that. I just don't think it's worth it: at
least for me, there are only three holidays during a year that might
interfere with that pay schedule.

HTH,
Nick