[Orgmode] Re: Installing Orgmode through ELPA-tarball

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Installing Orgmode through ELPA-tarball
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 00:19:30 +0530

Hello Martin

Thanks for trying out ELPA.

> Hi all,
>
> being curious I tried the upgrade via ELPA but for for some reasons it
> didn't work. Any ideas?
>
>>    2. Use the Emacs package manager's =M-x list-packages= to browse
>>       and install the latest version.
>
> Failed with the error message: Failed to download `Orgmode' archive.

This is expected. Orgmode cannot act as ELPA repo. There are some minor
things to be fixed.  Tarball is the way to go atleast for next few days

>> ** How do I install Orgmode from a ELPA-compatible tarball?
>> # <<Installing from ELPA-tar>>
>>
>>    2. Download the latest tarball from
>> [[http://orgmode.org/pkg/daily/][Orgmode repo]].
>>    3. Do =M-x package-install-file=. When prompted for =Package file
>>       name=, point it to .tar file downloaded in step 2.
>>
> Failed with the error message: package-read-from-string: Can't read whole
> string

Does any one else experience this issue.

Questions:
=========

What package.el you are using? I hope it is the one that is bundled in
to Emacs and *not* the one distributed from http://tromey.com.

May I ask you what version of Emacs you use and what OS you run on?

I use GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-01-03 on
PRETEST. I also have cygwin running. After your report, I downloaded
org-20101101.tar and I am able to run things successfully without any
issues.

Possible Root Cause:
===================

There is a comment in the package manager that there is a dependency on
GNU tar. May be the tar binary that you are running is not "GNU tar
compatible"

Just to confirm, copy the below elisp code to scratch buffer and do a
C-x C-e with cursor before the marker '@'.

(progn
  (setq default-directory "~/tmp/")
  (package-read-from-string