Re: [Orgmode] Re: Variable 'org-ctrl-k-protect-subtree' defaults to nil

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Variable 'org-ctrl-k-protect-subtree' defaults to nil
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:22:08 +1100

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:57:15 +0530
Noorul Islam K M <address@hidden> wrote:

> <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > It's the first time I'm giving any feedback on org-mode, so first
> > of all I would like to congratulate the original creator and all
> > contributors on a very interesting and useful work.
> >
> > I've discovered org-mode only a couple of weeks ago and was
> > intrigued enough to restart using emacs, after several years away
> > from it! I've been studying Org's documentation and tutorials, and
> > started using it to help me manage my relocation from Brazil to
> > Italy.
> >
> > What I am reporting, technically, is a feature: the fact that
> > variable 'org-ctrl-k-protect-subtree' defaults to nil. But
> > considering how easy this makes to lose a whole subtree of data,
> > especially for a newcomer to org-mode, I think it should be
> > considered a serious bug. As a matter of fact, I am very surprised
> > that C-k would be considered an admissible alternative to C-c C-x
> > C-w/M-w, as a way to kill a subtree!
> >
> > I propose that 'org-ctr-k-protect-subtree' is made to default to
> > 't' ASAP (already costumized it in that way on my setup), and that
> > the behavior of C-k on headings is made consistent: kill to the end
> > of line, regardless of the visibility of the subtree.
> >

> I slightly disagree here. Most of the time I definitely want the
> entire subtree to go away. I think this is the beauty of outline
> mode.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Noorul

I agree with the original poster. It's true that experienced users
"want the entire subtree to go away", but it is going to be one hell of
a bit surprise for novices. Gurus can set this variable (and any other)
to suit their needs, but org-mode ought to work out-of-the-box in a way
that protects us kids.

Thanks for a terrific product!

Alan