[Orgmode] Re: Differences in headline exports [was: Umlauts in LaTeX exp

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Differences in headline exports [was: Umlauts in LaTeX export]
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:19:24 -0700

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Nevertheless that does not absolve org from dealing with \" properly. In
> fact, it deals with it correctly in a heading but not in the text:
>
> * G\"odel
>
> G\"odel
>
> gives:

> \section{G\"odel}
> \label{sec-1}
>

> G\''odel
>

> However, surrounding the o with braces breaks things in both places.
>
> I think part of the problem is that headings and text go through
> different processing: e.g. text goes through org-export-latex-content,
> whereas headings don't. So fixing a problem like this in one place is
> not enough.

I was recently crawling through the LaTeX export code, because I was
getting different results for how a heading was exported depending on
whether it was simply a section title or whether it was the title for
the whole document. (See: [1]) It was quite a chore for me to understand
the different code paths that a headline can go through.

I still don't fully understand why things are this way; shouldn't all
text that's exported to LaTeX be processed in the same way, regardless
of where it appears (with the exception, of course, of text between
delimiters that mark it as literal LaTeX input)?

I sent a patch [2] that basically dealt with my problem by sending
headlines that become document titles down the same code path that
headlines and content are sent through (namely,
org-export-preprocess-string), but I haven't received any response.  Is
that because there's some important reason to treat these contexts
differently?  Am I missing something?

Best,
Richard

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/32281/