[Orgmode] Re: COMMENTed Radio Targets: Any comments?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: COMMENTed Radio Targets: Any comments?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 10:24:43 -0400

Hi Jambunathan,

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

>> For stable links to particular headlines, I would recommend CUSTOM_IDs
>> over radio targets. E.g.,
>
> I am raising these questions or bugs or even aberrations as a result of
> my work on OpenOffice.
>
> IOW, I am not looking at 'using them as a feature' but to 'understand
> them as a feature' and 'cross-checking' my OpenOffice's exporter against
> the HTML exporter.
>
> So the question of swithching to custom-ids doesn't arise in my case.

Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the context of the request. I
think it would by helpful to mention such context (i.e., work on the
OpenOffice exporter) in the original post.

FWIW, the following commenting syntax correctly inserts an invisible
target in the html:

* Heading
# <<<atarget>>>
** Subheading
atarget

exports as...

<h2 id="sec-1"><a name="atarget" id="atarget"></a><span
class="section-number-2">1</span> Heading </h2>

<h3 id="sec-1_1"><span class="section-number-3">1.1</span> Subheading </h3>

Using the COMMENT keyword, by contrast, creates an orphaned link, as you
note.

> I see two options (that I think are consistent):

> 1. In the Org file, references to 'Radioed Target' is still linkified
>    and clicking on it takes me to the right heading (although it is
>    COMMENTed out)

>    The corresponding thing for the HTML exporter is to 'ignore' the
>    COMMENT tag on the headline and (still) export it with refrences to
>    that headline as internal links.

> 2. The exported HTML doesn't contain the radioed headline. So
>    references to radioed text shouldn't be linkified.

I vote for #2. I expect org-export to clobber anything with a COMMENT
keyword. But if the radio target is clobbered, then words pointing to it
should not be "linkified."

Note: I'm referring here only to automatic radio targets of the
<<<triple-bracket>>> variety. If the user explicitly inserts links such
as [[atarget]], they should remain even if the target does not exist.

Best,
Matt