Re: [Orgmode] New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows

From: Sunny Srivastava
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 22:50:44 -0500

Dear Russell,
I am a newbie in org-mode-world. Thanks a lot for uploading an informative video.

Best Regards,
S.

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Russell Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 01:12:43AM +0100, Stefan Vollmar wrote:
> Dear Russell,
>
> I was one of the Vimeo watchers: excellent!
>
> I was so impressed with the part about popup notifications, that I tried to get it running on the Mac. Many users who have Emacs on the Mac will use growl, http://growl.info, a free notification system.
>
> The shell command of your my-appt-disp-window() function can be adapted to use growl's optional commandline interface in this way:
>
>   "growlnotify -s -m \"" msg "\""
>
> This will produce a beautiful (and sticky) popup window, one can add an optional icon and a priority (and lots of styles for the graphical appearance).

That's fantastic! I use kdialog myself on linux, and had to find a
compatible method for Windows. It has occurred to me that Emacs itself
uses popups, but I'm not sure how...

I can't take credit for figuring out how to get the agenda to do the
popups, I just adapted that from another post here.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks.