[Orgmode] Re: New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:07:29 -0500

Thanks for creating this, Russell.  It's great!

I've already set my system up per John Wiegley's tutorial.  I didn't
appreciate Org until I started to use capture, so I'm glad you introduced it
early on.  And I like how you pointed out org-capture-templates.  I'm at the
point where I'm changing some settings, so it's nice to see where things are
defined.

Also neat is the idea of notification.  But I wonder if some folks might
have VBS disabled.  For them, I'd recommend using the Net Send command.  Net
Send can also broadcast to multiple users on a domain, which may (or may
not) be a nice thing.  I can imagine an IT person using Org-mode with Net
Send to notify everyone about a server reboot.

Some other things that are new to me:
        * AddPM (never used it)
        * -f switch to run Lisp and the shortcut to Agenda
        * latest version is now 7.3
        * Timestamps & Workflow
        * C-c [
        * lots more

Invoking Customize is a nice way to establish the .emacs.  But I would've
mentioned C-x C-f ~/.e<TAB> after the second customization, though. :)

All the best!

Oh, BTW, is there a tutorial on how to set up a Worg account for Windows
users?

--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>

On Nov 5, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Russell Adams wrote:

> I've just posted a new thirty minute screencast on setting up Org-mode
> in Windows to Vimeo.
>
> http://vimeo.com/16533939
>
> Included are:
>
> - Downloading and configuring Emacs for Windows
> - Downloading and installing the latest Org-mode
> - Setting up a working agenda
> - Setting up capture for the agenda
> - Windows native popup reminders from Agenda entries
> - Setting up and use of one touch timestamps
>
> Under my sig are the snippets I used in the video.
>
> Enjoy!
-snip-