[Orgmode] Re: little problem with installing org with el-get

From: yagnesh raghava yakkala
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: little problem with installing org with el-get
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:35:57 +0900

Dear Jambunathan,

Thanks for the reply.,

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> Unless you specifically want to use el-get there are various options
> available.
>
> See 'Keeping Current' section of http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php for
> various options.
>
> Since you say you are a noob I suggest that you use the Package
> Manager - ELPA.

previously I used ELPA to maintain few of my plugins. but i found (may
be a wrong estimation) that el-get will be more elegant to follow the
plugins using not only as a wrapper to ELPA and other plugins with
additional protocols like git, http ,svn and more.

      Problems with ELPA are I had to put ELPA directory into my .emacs.d repo
to exchange the my configurations between different computers. so when
ever I add/delete a plugin by ELPA, I will have big changes in my
.emacs.d repo.

     Other thing is manual checking for the plugin updates. that's why i
chose to use el-get. Again, may be experienced git&elisp users can
overcome these problems quite easily.

> Jambunathan K.
>
> yagnesh raghava yakkala <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I recently dove into emacs world because of org. This is my first mail
>> to list so let me thank to Org-mode , Carsten and all contributors.
>>
>> Now to the problem,
>>
>> I am trying to follow the Org-mode from the git head using el-get. how
>> ever its not working as intended. even after el-get-update and
>> el-get-init , i see org-version is set to 7.1 (I am using emacs from
>> git repo few days ago built) instead of 7.3 release_7.3xxx dirty.
>>
>> I think this is nothing to do with my /init.el/. As a work around I
>> removed org folder from the emacs installation. After doing so it is
>> showing the correct version which is installed.
>>
>> I dont know this is a problem with el-get. is anybody using el-get to
>> maintain your org and other elisp code.

As I said, i could solve my problem with deleting the org directory
(bad idea indeed , loosing the fallback option) in my emacs
installation.
        My question was why el-get is not able to init the Org
while it is doing good with other packages.

if this is not so interesting/important, please ignore this thread as
closed Since I am having a working git head org installation.

Thanks & Regards,
Yagnesh

[deleted the tail]