[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Need for an extra literal block construct

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Need for an extra literal block construct
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:12:04 +0100

Hi Christian,

Christian Moe wrote:
>> Along this (still open -- at least, I hope so) discussion, I have a request
>> for a new literal block.
>>
>> Currently, when looking at http://orgmode.org/manual/Literal-examples.html,
>> we
>> see we only have two "environments" that keep line breaks as they are in the
>> Org buffer, that is SRC and EXAMPLE, both mapped in HTML to PRE.
>
> There's VERSE, too.

#+TITLE:     Is VERSE a real PRE environment?
#+DATE:      2010-11-19
#+LANGUAGE:  en_US

If VERSE was really handled "verbatim" (for lists, etc.), then, yes,
definitively, I don't need a new "environment" for emails. Was forgetting
about that one, thanks for the reminder!

Though, if the following is not a bug, but a deliberative choice, then no,
it's not what I'm looking for...

* Source block

** Source

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(update this-var)
(echo "OK")
#+end_src

** Results

#+begin_example
<pre class="src src-emacs-lisp">(update this-var)
(echo <span class="org-string">"OK"</span>)
</pre>
#+end_example

* Example

** Source

#+begin_example
>> Does it work?
>
> Yes, if you:
> - update =this-var=
> - restart

OK. Confirmed, but you need to:
1. delete the =cache=.
2. redo it.

Thanks to:
- you
- me
#+end_example

** Results

#+begin_example
<pre class="example">&gt;&gt; Does it work?
&gt;
&gt; Yes, if you:
&gt; - update =this-var=
&gt; - restart

OK. Confirmed, but you need to:
1. delete the =cache=.
2. redo it.

Thanks to:
- you
- me
</pre>
#+end_example

* Verse

** Source

#+begin_verse
>> Does it work?
>
> Yes, if you:
> - update =this-var=
> - restart

OK. Confirmed, but you need to:
1. delete the =cache=.
2. redo it.

Thanks to:
- you
- me
#+end_verse

** Results

#+begin_example
&gt;&gt; Does it work?<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt; Yes, if you:<br/>

&gt; - restart<br/>
OK. Confirmed, but you need to:<br/>
<li>
</li>

<li>
redo it.<br/>
Thanks to:<br/>
</li>
<li>
you<br/>
</li>
<li>
me<br/>
#+end_example

** Right thing or wrong thing?

The verse "mail" is badly translated into HTML:

1. lists are not copied "verbatim" in the PRE
2. they're even wrong: mix of OL and UL, because there is no ending /OL...

While the second is clearly a bug, what about the first point?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban