[Orgmode] Bugs in ob-haskell

From: Robin Green
Subject: [Orgmode] Bugs in ob-haskell
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:00:50 +0000

I've noticed a number of bugs in ob-haskell:

1. The first time I ran my code block, the results were given as something like:

Prelude> [[1], [2], [3]]

and of course, this isn't an org table, as it should be.

I don't think the "Prelude> " should have been there, and I suspect a race
condition,
because after I immediately did C-c C-c again, the results changed to a table.

2. Looking at ob-haskell.el, it seems like Haskell strings are converted into
text
by removing leading and trailing double quotes. However, if there are double
quote
characters inside the string, they will be escaped with a backslash when
printed,
and they will presumably need to be unescaped. (Haven't tested this though.)

3. Ordinary Haskell lists can't have values of different types inside them, at
least
not without some sort of wrapper. But if you have a number and a string in your
table, ob-haskell will try to make an impossible list with a number and a
string in
it. My preferred solution to this bug would be to force all list items to
strings
(at least, if there are any strings at all in the input table or list).

4. What's worse is, if ob-haskell makes an error in setting your input
variables,
like the error in the previous paragraph, and this is not the first run of that
code block and you haven't changed the variable names, the error arising from
the
"let" command will simply be ignored silently by ob-haskell! The previous value
of the variable will be used instead. At least, that is what happens to me.

Regards,
--
Robin Green