Re: [Orgmode] New lines (return chracter?) in capture templates

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] New lines (return chracter?) in capture templates
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 06:58:39 +0100

On Nov 23, 2010, at 2:34 AM, Jeff Horn wrote:

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Jeff Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Russell Adams
<address@hidden> wrote:
Can you post the relevant section of your config file?

I understand you included that template, but the context may help.

No problem! Thanks for your willingness to help, Russell. The relevant
section is below.

,----
|  '(org-capture-templates (quote (("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline
|  "~/org/ftr/jeff/notes/tasks.org" "Tasks") "* TODO %? %i %a") ("n"
| "Note" entry (file+datetree "~/org/ftr/jeff/notes/notes.org") "* %U\\n
|  *%^{Note Title}* %?\\n %i %a"))))
`----

The variable was set through customize. If I'm reading this correctly,
it appears that the customize interface is inserting an *additional*
escape character before the slash. I'd consider this a bug, since this
was not expected.

Removing the extra escapes fixes the issue.

Do you know of a way to insert a newline through customize that doesn't
get escaped automatically when the string is saved?

Manually editing the customize init file and then viewing the variable
through the customize interface reveals the solution: simply press
return when inputting the string. The newline is picked up
automatically.

In the customize interface, you can create a newline in the template using C-j or C-o or C-q C-j

- Carsten