[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Need for an extra literal block construct

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Need for an extra literal block construct
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:22:02 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

>> Though, I don't understand cases where we would like to preserve the
>> "verbatimness" of the linebreaks, but not of the lists, which is the
>> case, currently, for VERSE. Is there any useful use case for that?
>>
>> For me, both should be supported together, whichever the
>> environment, or none.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you have in mind here.
>
> On a technical point, I fail to see how you can have both leading
> white spaces preserved and lists interpreted, in a reasonable way.
> Thus, as VERSE environment preserves those spaces, lists can only be
> left uninterpreted there.
>
> Perhaps what you are missing is a block where only line breaks are
> verbatim. There's an export option to preserve them on the whole file
> but not on a part of a document, AFAIK.

I will try to rephrase my mind in a intelligible way, and you'll tell me if I
succeed doing so...

I meant, for me, there are only 2 useful options regarding a "block
environment" such as BLOCKQUOTE and VERSE:

- either, nothing is "interpreted"; that is, line breaks are preserved, and
  lists are preserved as well (outputted as they are written in the block)

- either, line breaks are not preserved, and lists are nicely formatted as
  lists, with nice bullets in HTML/PDF (customized in CSS or class file).

For me, as of now, I do not see a useful use case, where one would want to
have line breaks preserved (as written in the source block) *but* lists
interpreted (ie, not as written in the source block).

Am I clearer?

Am I right or wrong, with regard to your own experience?

>> For the emails, what environment would you advice me to use in
>> general? The patched VERSE, or back to EXAMPLE (distinguished from
>> RESULT, since Eric's patch to wrap the Org results)?
>
> I think VERSE (patched) is better than EXAMPLE because you can still
> benefit from text markup (and LaTeX snippets). Sadly, mails can
> sometimes be, well, very distant from poetry...

OK. I'll follow your advice, after testing your patch.

Thanks!

Best regards,
  Seb

--