Re: [Orgmode] Update on Org-mode clone in Vim

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Update on Org-mode clone in Vim
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:19:58 +0100

On Nov 25, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Herbert Sitz wrote:

Just wanted to update anybody interested that I'm still making progress on my Vim org-mode clone. Agenda view and flexible agenda searches on dates, todos, and tags all work pretty well now. I've got basic clocking and clock table
generation done, and some other things.  All is available at github:
https://github.com/hsitz/VimOrganizer

Another video on very basic date spec and agenda viewing stuff is here:
http://vimeo.com/17182850

I have a list of videos I want to get done in short order on:
(1) specifying tags and tag editing and searching
(2) specifying todos and editing todos and searching
(3) agenda searches on dates, tags, todos, their combinations, other properties,
etc.
(4) clocking in and out and clock tables

All this stuff is very similar to how Emacs Org-mode works, so the videos won't be too interesting to most of you. But I think they'll be quite helpful to people coming from Vim, some of whom have never even heard of Org- mode (if you
can imagine that).

:)

You know what gut feeling I have when I see you write about your project?

I am jealous. It must be a lot of fun to write Org mode from scratch, with a clear final feature set and detailed functionality already cleanly in your mind, and no legacy code to keep running and no detailed backward compatibility to worry about. :D

I am very curious to find out if Org's philosophy and ideas will get as much traction in the vi world. It seems to me that they should. Even though there is little overlap between these worlds because an Editor choice is such a basic thing, I guess we are all the same geeks.

Cheers

- Carsten