[Orgmode] Lists handling

From: Karl Maihofer
Subject: [Orgmode] Lists handling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:16:00 +0100

In an older thread(*) Sébastien, Carsten and Nicolas discussed the new kind of lists handling that was introduced with Org version 7.02.

(*) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/32808

,----
| Lists handling
| ===============
|
| Due to changes made to lists, it is no longer possible to have a
| sublist, some text and then another sublist while still in the same
| top-level list item, like in the following situation:
|
|    - Some list
|      + A first sublist
|      + of two elements
|
|      A text belonging to the top-level list
|
|      + Then another sublist
|      + and a second element in it
|    - End of main list
`----

Sébastien and Carsten mentioned that they aren't really happy to abandon the possiblilty to write that kind of lists. And for me this change is a big issue, too. I have serveral documents that make extensive use of such "interrupted" lists. Often I use inline tasks to comment special list items (and the lists are serveral pages long, so it is not an option to add the comments below or above the list).

Example:

,----
| - Item 1
|   - Item 1a
|
| ***************
| Item 1a is important because...
| *************** END
|
|   - Item 1b
| - Item 2
`----

These documents must be updated and will be exported to HTML regularly. Some documents have 500+ pages and many many of these "inline task" notes.

My problem isn't only that the exporter does not recognize this structure as one single list anymore (otherwise I could use an old Org version) but also that indentation does not work. Nicolas mentioned this already and I think this was one of the reasons for changing the handling of lists.

Does anybody see a chance to make Org recognize such "interrupted" lists as one list and make indentation and export to HTML work properly?

Wouldn't it be possible to tell Org to recognize text or inline tasks right behind a bullet point (next line) as belonging to this bullet point so that Org can treat the next bullet point as part of the same list?

Example for one single list:

,----
| - Item 1
|   - Item 1a
| *************** Inline Task
| This inline task belongs to the bullet point "Item 1a"
| *************** END
|   - Item 1b
| - Item 2
| - Item 3
`----

And in the following example the inline task wouldn't be an element of the list:

,----
| - Item 1
|   - Item 1a
|
| *************** Inline Task
| If the inline task or text should not belong to the bullet point 1a,
| there should be an empty line.
|   - Item 1
| - Item 2
| - Item 3
`----

Wouldn't this make sense? Or do I miss anything?

Regards,
Karl