Re: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Error output buffer

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Error output buffer
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:37:55 -0700

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga wrote:
>>> - add something visible after every execution, like a separator line or a
>>>   ^L character (new page, than can easily be displayed as a rule)
>>
>> I like this one (above), especially if you could append the date+time to the
>> formfeed and, ideally, some indication of the source code block responsible
>> for what follows. The latter is important because I often have multiple
>> source code blocks with the same language and it would be nice to
>> distinguish between them in terms of error output. Having the srcname appear
>> would be great, if it's possible.
>
> I think that what'd be very useful is:
>
> - some kind of separator
> - some timestamp (à la Org?  with or without seconds)
> - some language info?
> - a referrer to the code block (like the =comments= in tangled files)
>
> The separator could even be (why not?) a Org heading: the entire output buffer
> could be an Org file, allowing for folding of less useful entries, or sparse
> tree searches:
>
> * 2010-11-23 Tue 22:29:11 sh block
> /* [[file:~/src/test.org::*Commands][Commands:1]] */
> Invalid command: ls\r
> Invalid command: date\r
> /* Commands:1 ends here */

These are great ideas, in the case of single block execution I think
we're fine with the current behavior of a cleared error buffer
containing only a single error output, but in the case of multiple block
evaluations (e.g. chained code blocks or during export) I think that the
above suggestions are great.  I especially like the idea of one Org-mode
top-level heading per error.

I've added this to the Babel task stack.

Cheers -- Eric