Re: [Orgmode] moving in the agenda view is slow

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] moving in the agenda view is slow
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:53:10 -0500

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.  Moving
> > from line to line with n and p is slow.  Pressing the n key for 2
> > seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but
> > jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>
> I'll add that I have observed this the past week or so: there's a very
> noticeable pause between my hitting 'n', say, and the cursor moving down
> to the next line in a default agenda view (C-c a a).  My agenda files
> add up to less than 40k lines.  I've not done any investigation to see
> why things have slowed up recently but will start playing around...

I don't have this problem at all (perhaps because my agenda files are
puny at less than 5K lines total), but I obtained a profile[fn:1] and
most of the time goes to font-lock stuff. Here are the top five:

font-lock-fontify-region                                      11953
4.5865740000  0.0003837173
font-lock-default-fontify-region                              11953
4.2191050000  0.0003529745
font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                             11953
2.8850690000  0.0002413677
font-lock-extend-jit-lock-region-after-change                 87462
1.4409719999  1.647...e-05
org-agenda-list                                               1
0.461168      0.461168

What does your profile look like?

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] ... by doing

M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
C-c a a to get an agenda
a dozen "n"s - N.B. I get instant response here: no delays.
M-x elp-results