Re: [Orgmode] moving in the agenda view is slow

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] moving in the agenda view is slow
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:21:52 +0100

Am 27.11.2010 03:53, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.  Moving
>>> from line to line with n and p is slow.  Pressing the n key for 2
>>> seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but
>>> jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>> I'll add that I have observed this the past week or so: there's a very
>> noticeable pause between my hitting 'n', say, and the cursor moving down
>> to the next line in a default agenda view (C-c a a).  My agenda files
>> add up to less than 40k lines.  I've not done any investigation to see
>> why things have slowed up recently but will start playing around...
>>
> I don't have this problem at all (perhaps because my agenda files are
> puny at less than 5K lines total), but I obtained a profile[fn:1] and
> most of the time goes to font-lock stuff. Here are the top five:
>
> font-lock-fontify-region                                      11953
> 4.5865740000  0.0003837173
> font-lock-default-fontify-region                              11953
> 4.2191050000  0.0003529745
> font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                             11953
> 2.8850690000  0.0002413677
> font-lock-extend-jit-lock-region-after-change                 87462
> 1.4409719999  1.647...e-05
> org-agenda-list                                               1
> 0.461168      0.461168
>
> What does your profile look like?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> Footnotes:
> [fn:1] ... by doing
>
> M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
> C-c a a to get an agenda
> a dozen "n"s - N.B. I get instant response here: no delays.
> M-x elp-results

What I did:
open the agenda view

M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
several "n"s - delays are there - same on linux (V23.2.1) and windows emacs
M-x elp-results

org-agenda-next-line                                          79
4.004141      0.0506853291
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  79
0.0013609999  1.722...e-05
org-unhighlight                                               81
0.0009170000  1.132...e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                79
0.000473      5.987...e-06
org-detach-overlay                                            81
0.0002689999  3.320...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  81
0.0002449999  3.024...e-06

strange, why do I not get more details?
another try: what I see here and feel when scrolling is that "next-line" is a
lot slower than
"previous-line"

org-agenda-next-line                                          35
1.7968589999  0.0513388285
org-agenda-previous-line                                      83
1.0216469999  0.0123089999
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  116
0.0024670000  2.126...e-05
org-unhighlight                                               123
0.0018569999  1.509...e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                116
0.0012020000  1.036...e-05
org-detach-overlay                                            123
0.0004900000  3.983...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  123
0.0003940000  3.203...e-06
font-lock-mode                                                1
3.4e-05       3.4e-05
font-lock-default-function                                    1           8e-06
        8e-06

Rainer