[Orgmode] Re: moving in the agenda view is slow

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 14:23:31 -0500

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick, elp-reset-all does not work.

Some more detail would be helpful: in what way does it not work?

If I do

M-x elp-reset-all
M-x elp-results

I get a blank slate. Then I can press 10 "n", and do M-x elp-results
and get

org-agenda-list                                               1
0.542113      0.542113
org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    105
0.2963639999  0.0028225142
org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      105
0.1733859999  0.0016512952
org-agenda-files                                              3
0.163354      0.0544513333
org-time-string-to-absolute                                   833
0.1295979999  0.0001555798
org-parse-time-string                                         847
0.1100739999  0.0001299574
org-prepare-agenda                                            1
0.055021      0.055021
org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     105
0.0506039999  0.0004819428
org-prepare-agenda-buffers                                    1
0.049225      0.049225
org-refresh-category-properties                               15
0.030431      0.0020287333
org-agenda-get-sexps                                          105
0.02591       0.0002467619
org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      105
0.0178420000  0.0001699238
org-diary-sexp-entry                                          14
0.0136680000  0.0009762857
org-agenda-get-blocks                                         105
0.0129850000  0.0001236666
org-agenda-next-line                                          10
0.0122370000  0.0012237
org-closest-date                                              196
0.0108019999  5.511...e-05
org-finalize-agenda                                           1
0.009044      0.009044
org-up-heading-safe                                           95
0.0086909999  9.148...e-05
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10
0.008677      0.0008677000
org-display-outline-path                                      10
0.007925      0.0007925

reflecting the stats from the last reset onwards. What do you get?

> Reason for "42" calls is I simply leave my finger on the key for a while
> ... just to see the result more clear:

Hmm, I'd prefer a more controlled experiment: it would be better to
press it say 10 times discretely. I wonder also if crossing from one
date to the next affects things (in my case, it does not).

> org-agenda-next-line                                          42
>   2.837738      0.0675651904

Be that as it may, you get 67.5ms per call to org-agenda-next-line
and I get 1.22ms, roughly a factor of  50.

Can you do M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> and
get another profile?

Thanks,
Nick