Re: [Orgmode] Lists handling

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Lists handling
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:02:05 +0000

> On Nov 27, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>> Hello,

>>> Thanks for that. Did you work on the demote/promote problem, too?
>>
>> No, nothing related to lists actually. But I added a way to configure
>> export of inline tasks.
>>
>>> As pointed out above in my special case inline tasks would be a
>>> great thing to have in lists. But I understand your reservation.
>>
>> It would be desirable to hear the opinions of others here.
>
> 1. My feeling is that it would be nice to allow drawers inside a list.
> 2. I don't think it is important to allow lists inside drawers inside
>    lists - you can just say in the docs that this is not supported
>    and let users deal with this limitation.
> 3. What should be allowed is to have lists inside a drawer that is not
>    itself in a list.  We need that for logbook entries and the like.
> 4. I also think that inline tasks inside a list are overkill and would
>    overly complicate things.

Well, my immediate reaction was to jump in and say that this (pt 4) is
exactly when I most need inline tasks!  My typical use case is taking
minutes at a meeting and assigning actions to individuals: inline tasks
are perfect for this.

However, on reflection, obviously a simple nested single item list would
do the job just fine *if* we could assign TODO actions to list
items... *but* we cannot unfortunately.

So, I'm back to needing to use inline tasks or putting in a request for
taskable list items...

Of course, this need could be because I don't actually understand
drawers and their potential for my particular use case.  Any elucidation
on this aspect would be most welcome!  For instance, could drawers give
me todo assignments?

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.148.gc3b7e)