[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Reporting 2 problems of code execution

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Reporting 2 problems of code execution
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:03:31 +0100

Hi Charles,

Thanks a lot for taking a look at this, too...

"Charles C. Berry" wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Hi Eric and Dan,
>>
>> * Abstract
>>
>> Reporting two problems:
>
> Did you mean to include ":results output" in the headers?

You're right that could be it. I often forget about adding that setting, even
though it's more or less mandatory for the sh blocks -- at least, in many sh
blocks I write...

> When I do that in eaco of the src blocks I get what I think you were
> expecting.

I still don't. See below.

>> 1. parsing problem of unescaped text from a shell block
>> 2. end marker repeated upon execution of elisp block
>>
>> Note that I added the RESULT thing in my default headers.
>>
>> * Data
>>
>> Let's say I want to grep trough arbitrary text, such as:
>>
>> #+results:a-couple-of-lines
>> : He said "I'll do it"
>> : but that cannot be echo'ed!
>>
>> ... or to let it scanned by AWK for post-processing (like generating some
>> DOT representation).
>>
>> But, first, as errors are popping up, let's say I can just output it as is.
>>
>> * Shell code
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :var data=a-couple-of-lines :exports both
>> echo "$data"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> #+BEGIN_RESULT
>> #+END_RESULT
>
> #+begin_src sh :results output :var data=a-couple-of-lines :exports both
> echo "$data"
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : He said "I'll do it"
> : but that cannot be echo'ed!

It does not work for me. With the above, I (still) get:

#+results:
#+BEGIN_RESULT
#+END_RESULT

for results, and, in the *Org-Babel Error Output*:

sh: line 3: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
sh: line 7: syntax error: unexpected end of file

>> The data is impossible (*for me*, as is) to print out from a shell code.
>> Though, it is in Emacs-Lisp... without any change.
>>
>> Note that it's the second *single quote* only that's causing a problem, not
>> the first one...
>>
>> * Emacs-Lisp code
>>
>> Executing this:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var data=a-couple-of-lines :exports both
>> (prin1-to-string data)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> #+BEGIN_RESULT
>> #+begin_example
>> "He said \"I'll do it\"
>> but that cannot be echoed!"
>> #+END_RESULT#+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>> #+end_example
>>
>> works, but the *end marker is repeated* as long as we re-execute the block.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp results output :var data=a-couple-of-lines :exports
> both
> (prin1-to-string data)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : "He said \"I'll do it\"
> : but that cannot be echo'ed!"

With or without the ":results output" (BTW, notice you've forgotten the colon
in front of results), the result is the same. But, if you evaluate the block
multiple times, in my case, the end marker (end_example) is still repeated...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban