[Orgmode] Re: Babel, Python and UTF-8

From: Vincent Beffara
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Babel, Python and UTF-8
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:27:01 +0100

Hi,

"preamble" sounds fine (and it would be excellent to allow for a code
block as a preamble, instead of a string in the header or as an
alternative, because preambles once they are allowed tend to grow
uncontrollably ;->)

>> The :shebang header argument is only used for tangling, not during
>> evaluation, however if you ever needed to tangle python code blocks with
>> non-ASCII encodings this would be the appropriate solution.
>
> Sorry, reading this after the other post...
>
> But, does it still make sense to make that distinction:
>
> - some sort of preamble only for tangling?
> - a preamble for evaluation (and tangling)?

One naive question : why is the code path different for tangling and
evaluation ? One would think that a natural way for evaluation would be
to tangle the current block (plus included noweb stuff etc) into a
temporary file and eval that file ... and that would enable shebang for
evaluation as well. There must be something I am missing here.

           /v