Re: [Orgmode] specifying priority with template expansion

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] specifying priority with template expansion
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:37:57 -0500

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM, David A. Thompson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Most of my todos are neither associated with deadlines nor are they
> scheduled. Schedules and deadlines have seemed a more time-intensive way to
> go relative to setting priorities (but perhaps this is a 'Green Eggs and
> Ham' thing?)

Maybe. :-)

They were certainly the ticket for me.

> I guess the main difference is that I generally am typically able to
> recognize, when recording a todo, whether it's in the 'urgent/asap' pile
> (A), the 'try-and-get-it-done-sometime-soon' pile (B), or in a
> 'sure-would-be-nice-to-get-it-done' pile (C). Given that, it seemed both
> logical and more efficient to immediately prioritize the item rather than
> going back later and prioritizing the item.

Someone else is probably better suited to address your original post.
As far as additional thoughts, I was only thinking about keystroke
savings:

1) You can set priorities in agenda view by typing a comma and
choosing priority. You can set them anywhere with =C-c ,=. Or, you can
simply type them, =[#A]=.
2) Say you type them. That's four keystrokes. You could use =%?= in a
template to past the cursor within the priority cookie, like =[#%?]=.
But then you need two keystrokes to get out.
3) Whether 2) saves more time than 1) isn't clear to me, but might fit
your case until/if/when priorities are added to templates.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
address@hidden
address@hidden

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/