Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 20:03:24 -1000

Aloha Detlef,

On Dec 2, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Detlef Steuer wrote:

Hi!

I very much appreciate your article as a nice introduction to org- babel
and its uses. As I'm going to introduce my colleagues into the nice
world of org-babel giving a talk sometime next term I'll shamelessly
steal from your work. (Of course giving attribution!)

Some remarks:
If you send it to Journal of _Statistical_ Software may be you should
be a little bit more focused on statistics. You article introduces
org-babel as a multi-language frontend to literate programming. What it
is, but there is little statistics in it.

In their article Gentleman and Lang introduced the "statistical
compendium". In my opinion emacs + org-mode + babel +
all-programming-languages-we-know + LaTeX + HTML export build the first
incarnation of a tool to really create such a compendium, org-babel
being central in that chain.
May be you can use some of Tom Dye's data to give an example of a
self-contained statistical workflow. I used his introduction given in
Worg to do my first steps in that direction. (Thx again Tom!)
Doing everything beginning with data-cleaning over data analysis to
template generating and report publishing and presentation in one
text-file.
That feature was, what caught me immediately as a statistician.

If you want to focus on the simulation side (may be more focused on
academics) I would stress the "always-correctness" of graphs in
articles. You all know what I mean...

Just my 2 cents. Of course it is great as it stands  and surely I'm
biased by my own needs.

Detlef
(a statistician)

Thanks very much for the helpful comments and especially your perspective on the Journal of Statistical Software.

I'm interested to learn how you've developed a statistical workflow with Org-mode beyond my first tentative steps in that direction. It would be great to have an example of your progress on Worg, if you can find the time.

All the best,
Tom

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:28:27 -0700