[Orgmode] Re: Questions about org-capture templates and usage

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Questions about org-capture templates and usage
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 06:58:46 -0500

Alan  <address@hidden> writes:

>    1. Eventually a tutorial will surely be available.  I haven't found
>      one.   Useful tutorials for me would be
>
>       1. How to make general templates, and pitfalls.
>       2. Advanced usages of org-capture: using functions, etc.
>       3. Common errors and causes

I put this in the "Features awaiting tutorials" list on Worg:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php#sec-7

>    2. Documentation is minimal, while the complexity of the system is
>       great.

Could you please explain what else you'd like to see in the
documentation?

- http://orgmode.org/manual/Capture.html
- (info "(org) Capture")
- M-x describe-variable org-capture-templates

>    3. I have had to modify my usage to accomodate to changes in
>       org-capture, relative to org-remember. Some differences devolve
>       from explicit design features
>
>       1. It is no longer necessary to auto-save uncommitted items. As
>          a consequence there seems (as I understand it) to no longer
>          be a way to use a prefix key to allow one to visit the item
>          in it's context AFTER committing it with C-c C-c.
>
>        I have spend a good deal of time worrying over this, but
>        haven't solved the problem.  Probably 90% of the times I save
>        (C-c C-c) the Captured item, I stumble over how to find it
>        again to enhance or review the item.

>        *Is there a way to do this, or can we request a way to do this?*

The function org-capture-goto-last-stored will take you the item.

You can bind this to a key.

Or if you would like always to jump to a capture item after filing it,
you can add a hook:

(add-hook 'org-capture-after-finalize-hook 'org-capture-goto-last-stored)

>    4. I would like to be able to capture to a non-orgmode file.
>       My remember template saved  some notes, a list of items from an
>       agenda search, or any text   was marked as a region, as a memo
>       wrapped up as a latex memo, with  a latex memo header and
>       an \end{document.
>
>       It is my understanding that this won't work anymore because
>       capture will not save to a non-orgmode file.
>
>        *Is this correct, and/or what, if anything can I do to make
>        this work?* `

AFAICT, it works fine. You can use the "plain" entry type. For instance,
here's a template that puts the selected region in a quote environment
in the file ~/searches.tex.

(add-to-list 'org-capture-templates
             '("x" "Random note" plain (file "~/searches.tex")
               "\\begin{quote}\n%i\n\\end{quote}"))

Best,
Matt