[Orgmode] Re: Two issues with :VISIBILITY: property

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Two issues with :VISIBILITY: property
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 23:41:57 -0500

Cassio Koshikumo <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just recently began using emacs and org-mode, and I'm already in
> love. So, first, let me thank and congratulate Mr. Dominik and
> everyone else involved.

Welcome!

> The "children" property allows me to press C-u C-u <TAB> to show only
> the synopsis and the headlines inside the chapters -- which is exactly
> what I want.
>
> But here's the thing: if I decide to put "Chapter 1" /after/ "Chapter
> 2", using M-Down or M-S-Down, it gets moved alright -- but the entire
> Chapter 1 subtree is expanded. I no longer see only the headlines
> inside it, but also the entire text inside them. Is this by design? If
> so, why? It seems to me that the :VISIBILITY: property should hold
> when moving trees around.

I cannot replicate this. When I move the headlines, they remain folded.

> That was the first issue. The second is:
>
> The :VISIBILITY: property seems to work only when it's applied to
> level 1 trees. For example, say I have this:
>
> * Part 1
>
> ** Chapter 1
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :VISIBILITY: children
>   :END:
>
>   Synopsis for Chapter 1 goes here.
>
> *** Section 1 (Ch.1)
>     The actual text for Section 1 of Chapter 1.
>
> ** Chapter 2
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :VISIBILITY: children
>   :END:
>
>   Synopsis for Chapter 2 goes here.
>
> *** Section 1 (Ch.2)
>     The actual text for Section 1 of Chapter 2.
>
> When I press C-u C-u <TAB>, only Chapter 1 gets expanded correctly
> (synopsis + headlines inside it). Chapter 2 stays completely folded
> ("Chapter 2..."), without any children or content shown -- effectively
> ignoring the "children" property, or acting as it was set to "folded".
> I guess this wasn't supposed to happen, right?

Yes, this is a bug. Thanks for reporting it.

It was introduced with commit 383802d063a9f2dd959d5574b226fa8ec7f8be41,
which caused the problem it intended to solve. See:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/28159/focus=28442

The commit has org-mode process the headlines from bottom to top, which
means that any changes to the visibility of lower headlines are
overridden/modified by changes higher up. Reverting the change causes
VISIBILITY to work correctly.

I send a patch shortly.

Thanks,
Matt