[Orgmode] Orgmode and Unicode characters

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: [Orgmode] Orgmode and Unicode characters
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:19:55 +0200

Even though this announcement looks very cool, this again reminded me of something I've been thinking off when using orgmode. And that is the use of unicode characters. With the latest versions of emacs that support unicode and with rich fonts such as DejaVu Monospace, it is as easy to use unicode characters as ascii. What I was thinking of is that the current ascii graphics of e.g. tables could automatically be switched to box drawing characters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_characters) when pressing C-c or Tab. Other characters that could be used are automatic replacement of leading asterisks to various bullets. Each indentation level could be given a different bullets. E.g. "*"==▸, "**"==●, etc. I'm sure that arrows and various brackets may also be useful for various contexts.

Of course the use of these characters would be configurable and would be turned off automatically for buffers that are not UTF-8 encoded.

Perhaps I'll one day learn the inner workings of org-mode sufficiently to do this myself, but if there is someone who meanwhile wants to pick up the idea, you're welcome!

Regards,
Dov