[Orgmode] Re: Babel, Python and UTF-8

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Babel, Python and UTF-8
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:42:58 +0000

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Vincent Beffara <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>> This is currently possible using the `sbe' function.  Arbitrary emacs
>>> lisp can be placed inside of header arguments, and the `sbe' take the
>>> name of a code block and returns its result.

This makes me think of another good use of the sbe ("src block eval")
function. I'm often seeing Org documents with a src block like this,

#+source: essential-document-config
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 ;; some essential document-specific configuration
#+end_src

and some instructions saying something like "To use this document, first
evaluate this code block".

This can be automated by using sbe in a local variables line at the end
of the Org file:

# Local variables:
# eval:(sbe "essential-document-config")
# End:

When the file is first opened, Emacs will evaluate the set-up blocks
(after asking for confirmation).

This isn't restricted to configuration of Emacs variables with
emacs-lisp blocks; eval lines could reference blocks in any language,
for example to start an ESS session and run some preparatory code, etc,
e.g.

#+source: document-config
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(set (make-local-variable 'org-edit-src-content-indentation) 0)
#+end_src

#+source: start-ess
#+begin_src R :session *R session*
  a <- 1