Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 20:48:03 -0800

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Sunny Srivastava wrote:

Hello Chuck:

Your idea is very interesting. I am curious to make use of your ideas. If it
is not too much trouble, can you please share an example org file that you
use for package development? I completely understand if you can't share the
file.

Sunny,

I posted the vanilla version of the file at

http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/org-mode/RpkgExample.org

It has the src blocks I use in each package.

To use it, you set up a minimal package directory structure:

        myPackage/
        myPackage/DESCRIPTION
        myPackage/man/
        myPackage/R/

say, and (optionally) put it under version control.

Or use an existing package you are already working on.

Or download one from CRAN, and untar it.

Then copy RpkgExample.org to myPackage/

(or whatever the equivalent directory is)

and you are ready to start.

FWIW, if I have a good idea of what I am doing at the outset, I will
write functions in R/*.R files and create man/*.Rd files using
prompt() and then edit them, and then get around to checking,
installing, and trying out the package from the org file.

But usually, I have only a fuzzy idea of what how to organize the
code, so I start by writing a snippet of code in an R :session src
block that sets up some objects of the sort I would want my package to
work on. I run that block. Then I might write a script in another :session
src block to do some of the work I want the package to do, and
try it out. Once it works I wrap it into a function, and write another
:session src block to call the function. Once that works, I kill the
src block with the function in it and yank it into a fresh buffer
where it is saved as R/whatever.R. After using prompt() to make the
man/whatever.Rd and editting it, I am ready to run the package check,
install the package, restart my R session and load the package. Then I
can stitch together tests, examples, and more functions in the org
file, and test them and migrate them to the right places.

Comments welcome.

Best,

Chuck

Your help is highly appreciated.