[Orgmode] Re: Sparse tree using regexp

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Sparse tree using regexp
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:36:08 -0500

address@hidden (Marco (m) Wahl) writes:

> hi Juri,
>
>>     > I do Ctrl-C + / + / and then enter regular expression. If I enter TODO
>>     > or just INPROGRESS then it works but when I try to enter
>>     > TODO|INPROGRESS or TODO\|INPROGRESS in order to see records containing
>>     > one of these words then no records are shown.
>>     >
>>     > Could you please advice how to use regexp here for orgmode?
>>
>>     what about '\(TODO\)\|\(INPROGRESS\)'?
>> this way it's working.
>
> that's good.
>
>> Do you know why it's required additional brackets and it's handling?
>
> i just reactivated my regexp-brain-cells and saw the brackets. ;)
> possibly you want to dive into regexps.  then you will get aquainted
> with the brackets for grouping.
>
> but ali noticed that you don't need brackets on his box.  maybe it's a
> bug (or inconvenience) in aquamacs.  see his post and hopefully some
> follow-ups.

The parentheses are redundant. Perhaps it is an Aquamacs issue. With
GnuEmacs 24 on Linux, the following search works fine:

C-c / / TODO\|STARTED

That said, for this use, a TODO keyword search will be quicker and more
accurate, as the regexp search above will match "todo" or "started"
anywhere in the buffer. Here's the todo search:

C-c / T TODO|STARTED

Best,
Matt