[Orgmode] (org-log-done 'time) and the subsequent line

From: Rob Moss
Subject: [Orgmode] (org-log-done 'time) and the subsequent line
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 00:58:34 +0100

Greetings,

I've just started using org-mode. I began with a tutorial
(http://dto.github.com/notebook/orgtutorial.html) and have also read
bits of the Compact Org-mode Guide and the org-mode manual. But after
an hour or two of fruitless searching, I am stuck with a
problem/question concerning the logging of TODO items. I want to know
how I can add a trailing newline to the "CLOSED: [DATE]" line that
gets inserted when I press C-c C-t. To illustrate what I mean, say I
have a file such as the following paragraph:

* Tasks for today
** TODO Task 1
** TODO Task 2

If I put my cursor on line 2 ("** TODO Task 1") and press C-c C-t, I get:

* Tasks for today
** DONE Task 1
   CLOSED: [2010-12-07 Tue XX:YY] ** TODO Task 2

And now, Task 2 is on the same line as the "CLOSED: [DATE]" that logs
the completion of Task 1. Likewise, say I instead have a file such as
the following two paragraphs:

* Tasks for today
** TODO Task 1
** TODO Task 2

* Tasks for tomorrow

If I put my cursor on line 3 ("** TODO Task 2") and press C-c C-t, I get:

* Tasks for today
** TODO Task 1
** TODO Task 2
   CLOSED: [2010-12-07 Tue XX:YY]
* Tasks for tomorrow

And I have lost the empty line between the tasks for today and the
tasks for tomorrow. Granted, this doesn't bother me nearly as much as
the first case.

Can anyone suggest how to solve this? I've searched through forums,
public .emacs files and the org-mode manual, but I can't find an
answer. I've dabbled a very little in elisp, but since 'time doesn't
appear to be a function, I can't see how to override it easily. I
really hope that I haven't missed something obvious here.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Rob