[Orgmode] Re: Sending org buffer as mail?

From: Oscar Carlsson
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Sending org buffer as mail?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:17:55 +0100

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> From time to time, I would like to mail an .org buffer. At the moment, I
> copy it into thunderbird and mail it - this is quite awkward.
>
> I assume, there must be a better way of doing this from within emacs?.
>
> I do not intend to switch to gnus or similar for reading my email, I
> just want to be able to send, from time to time, an .org buffer as an email
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

You don't have to switch to GNUS in order to do it, but you might have
to configure Emacs's built in smtp-support. This is how I do it:

#+BEGIN_SRC lisp
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/.authinfo"
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
#+END_SRC

This is obviously for GMail. In my ~/.authinfo, I input the following:

#+BEGIN_SRC
machine smtp.gmail.com login address@hidden password p4ssw0rd
#+END_SRC

And then, I can send a org-file by attaching it to a mail in Emacs. Try
C-x m to start a new mail buffer, attach with C-c C-a and send with C-c
C-c.